Friday

How You Doin' Fall ball game 3

Started at shortstop. Always something that gets me pumped, though I note that lately it makes me nervous, too. That must be old age creeping up on me...I used to LOVE the position and the action. Actually, to play well I need a lot of action. Keeps me interested and on my toes.

Be that as it may, we were again visitors, which I like. I get to get involved offensively which almost always is a good thing since it gets my confidence up. This time he had me batting second. Betsy Singled and up I came. I think of this as an RBI opportunity, particularly with their defensive alignment. They only had 3 outfielders. Instead of going with the classic baseball outfield alignment, they left right field open. Wide open. Their "right fielder" was lined up almost in straight-away center field. Crazy. Especially against someone like me who lives with the opposite field.

So right field was wide open, Betsy on first. I always want to at a minimum double to take away the double play opportunity. With their defensive alignment I figured they would be pitching inside and letting people pull so I was looking for something inside. I didn't get it...he put it out over the heart of the plate. I adjust well enough but got a little bit on top of it. I lined it to center, no chance of getting out, but no chance of scoring Betsy or even doubling. So it was a marginal success. On the bright side, I did not make out so we still had the big inning potential alive. And we took it. Becky grounded out but Betsy and I advanced. Nick brought us home. We scored a couple more, then into the field we went with 4 or 5 runs under our belt.

It started like one of those quick-sand innings. They were hitting poorly...but sometimes that is advantageous as their poor hits were Texas Leaguer type that land in front of the outfielders. They had a run in and a couple on with 2 out when one of them hit a screamer to right center. I went to take the throw in by second base. As I often do, I made a random sweep tag...and the runner was off base for the third out. She should have been standing on the bag, but had taken a few steps towards third for no apparent reason. It should not have been an out...but it was. Just another reminder that solid fundamentals such as always making the tag will lead to an occasional unexpected out.

Our bats were hot and this time I had the sacks stacked. The first pitch was where I thought he would pitch me the first at-bat, inside. It was also short. I relaxed. It hit the front corner of the plate...and he called it a strike. Huh? Bad call I suspect, though since I don't know the slow-pitch strike zone, I could be wrong. Still, I suspect a pitch that lands on the corner of the plate closest to the pitcher is too low to hit, so I doubt it should have been a strike. Regardless, having 2 strikes does not bother me. Every pitch looks like a grapefruit. I simply adjust my approach and plan to go with the pitch.

And I did. Because his next pitch was a mistake, belt high and outside half of the plate. I took a couple half steps and a 3/4 swing to drive it into the wide open spaces of right field. Had Betsy been faster I could have easily tripled or even scored, but as it was she just strolled to third and I was at second. Again we both scored and had a nice lead.

Next inning with a runner on and one out a guy popped behind third. I thought it was deeper than it was and called it. I was there easily...but a bit embarrassed and feeling like a ball hog when I realized how shallow it was...maybe 5 steps behind Steve. That was his ball and I stole it. Ball pig.

Bottom half of the inning I again came up with a runner or two on and 2 out. This time Betsy had popped out so she was not one of them. To my amazement, they had not yet shifted to cover right. In fact, I deliberately looked down the left field line...and they shifted that way even further!

There was no doubt I was turning the pitch inside out no matter what he threw. And I did. But I got under it a bit. Instead of the line shot I wanted to produce it was a soft fly. They still had no shot at it, but whereas I could have crawled home had I hit the line shot, the soft fly gave them time to make a play on our runner who headed home. They had no chance at getting him...but they could try. Sadly, as I was approaching 2nd I stepped badly and rolled my ankle.

I almost took myself out for a pinch runner, but before I could yell for time, Becky grounded out.

At that point I did something I have never in my life done before. I took myself out of the game. I did it for a couple reasons. First, we were ahead at that point something like 15-1. So I did not feel needed. Second, I am finally at the point in my life where my long-term health means more to me than winning a garbage-league softball game that nobody will remember the score of in 2 weeks. Third...it REALLY hurt.

It was bad enough I followed that bit of anti-machismo with another move I have never made before. I left before the game was over.

On the bright side, I played okay against the only other undefeated team in the league. I got some nice hits, made a couple plays...on the dark side, we would have mercy rule'd them even without me so I was not needed...and I did some poor teammate stuff like leaving early. So a mixed day.

No comments: