Thursday

How You Doin'?

Had our first softball tournament of the year, a "marathon tournament" where you play 2 games in one day. Yeah, I know...when I was growing up we would play 4 or 5 hours in a row. Makes me feel old. So did my performance...I missed the first game while doing taxes but showed up for the second game.

JJ put me at shortstop. I came up in the top half of the first with runners on 1st and 2nd, 2 out. Despite having only swung a bat I think twice all year, I was able to do what I do...I went the other way into the gap in right, pulling in at second with a clean double and driving in our first run. I died on second, no big deal.

They promptly dropped a four spot on us. Not a huge surprise...the girl they had playing catcher is good enough to play short for us. So their worst girl is at least equal to our best girl...and their guys were all equal to or better than our guys. I had but one chance, fielded it cleanly and got them at first. Felt good about that, particularly since I was not wearing my glasses so was having a hard time picking the ball up off the bat.

Next time up I went the opposite way again but this time I got under it and flew out to right. One of our guys advanced from 2nd to third...then went crazy and tried to score. On a flyout. Did not make it. And not only did it kill the inning...we did not score again in the game.

Defensively it was a mixed bag. I was fielding the grounders well but my throws...well, Nick saved my bacon on about 4 throws. My arm is too dead to make that thrown anymore. Had one spectacular play going back to my right over the third baseman's head, caught it, and in one motion off my back heel threw a strike to home. I thought I got the runner but I guess the throw was late.

After they "mercied" us we played one more inning. This time I pulled to left and singled, then was out on a fielders choice. Defensively...well, I fell asleep. Almost literally. I was thinking about a conversation between innings and when a sharp grounder was hit to me I avoided it.

After that mess I was embarrassed...next batter popped it behind third. I took off with the ping of the bat. Laid out. Had the ball in the glove. Landed hard. Ball popped out...I dropped it. I suck. But I still paid the penalty because I drove my arm into the ground with all that 260 pounds of me. Stupid. Should have made the catch, I just dropped it, but in the process I pretty near blasted my arm to pieces.

Second game was better. I made every play except one errant throw where I did not have time to get the runner but tried anyway. He could not advance so no harm. Offensively...well, first time up I singled to right. Next time up they shifted, I tried to pull it and flew out. Third time up I doubled. Fourth time, tie game, no outs, 2 runners on...this is where I should shine. He gave me the perfect pitch....chest high, outside corner. I got happy feet, over swung...and popped out to shallow right. Some clutch hitting. I suck.

We ended up scoring 3 that inning but it should have been 5 or 6. My bad. It mattered because they threw up a deuce in the bottom half of the inning and had a chance to tie or win. We held on for the 6-5 win. Fun game.

Just from last year to this I can feel and notice the decline in my skills. My throws are worse, my swing terrible. Could be a long year.

No comments: