Thursday

C-List Celebrities

Wow. Only myself and 4 girls showed up. Our opponents were even sadder...2 guys, 2 girls. Both guys were taller, faster, stronger, and better shooters than me...



I matched up with a kid about 6'6". Fortunately he was not real aggressive because had he posted up I would have had a tough time. Well...maybe. At least twice he tried to post me up. I don't have fast hands anymore...but I have smart hands. The first time I poked the ball away and when he reset he was outside his comfort zone, the second time I forced him into a bad shot.

Defensively Jess was playing awesome. I concentrated on boxing him out and she alertly was swooping in to grab the ball. I was not getting as many rebounds as I normally do but she, the shortest person on the floor but a good 4", was picking off every loose ball. Unfortunately, we were struggling to score at the other end. Once more we did not identify our advantages and get the ball to them.

I set about 10 screens and not one was used so I quit. Finally I decided to lurk on the blocks and see if I could get a few offensive rebounds. Got one when both their guys were right there. Went up strong and got swatted. Ball bounced right back to me. Ball fake, went up...and the other guy blocked it. Snatched the ball back, put it up...and got blocked a third time. Got it back, ball fake, spun and faded away...and hit the shot. Three shots blocked on one possession. When I was young and talented I would not get 3 shots blocked in a year. Oh how the mighty have fallen...

But they were just too fast and tall for us. One girl kept getting left open and nailed about 6 treys, their shorter guy hit a lot of threes and had a lot of fast-breaks...meanwhile, we could not out the ball in the bucket. By the end it was a blow-out, 62-38. We played almost 45 minutes and scored all of 38 points. I think I took 5 shots...something wrong with that picture. Oh, well, it was fun.

No comments: