Monday

C-List Celebrities

Our last game and I goofed up the time. I felt horrible. Fortunately, Jess brought her Dad so we had 5: Kyle F, John, me for guys and Jess and Ashley for girls.

Now, all season I have been making the same mistake. Short-handed, I elect to conserve energy...so I go half-speed the entire time. As a result, I rebound very well because I am a smart rebounder, but otherwise I am useless. This game I decided to run full speed until I ran out of gas at which point I would just run out of gas.

I started strong. On our first 6 or 7 possessions I was 2 for 2 with my little drive into the lane, pull-up jumper. I was rebounding well and passing well. Unfortunately, our opponents, the Platypi, were shooting the lights out as well.

This trend would continue. Kyle was on fire, so was Ashley, John had several nice drives and Jess hit a few shots. We were all scoring and scoring well. And it was a close game, about 35-31 with under 2 minutes to go in the first half. They hit a mini-run to take a 44-37 lead at the half.

Now, early this season we had a couple games where we barely scored 40 all game. It was a team effort. I had a huge impact as I kept doing my little drive/stop & pop or distributed the ball. I have always believed I was better than average at pinpointing the open players and this game did nothing to make me rethink that. Again and again I got people wide open looks. Far and away the best game I have played in a while...and it was done while I was feeling sick.

Anyhow, a guy early for his next game offered to sub for us. I would have preferred not but the consensus was yes. So we let him in. And our passing promptly declined. Kyle was still red-hot, as was Ashley. I think I took something like 3 shots in the second half. One was early and I heard one of the refs and Platypi talking about how I was playing. But I stopped getting the ball. Made me sad.

Oh, well.

Kyle & Ashley largely carried us with timely contributions from John and Jess, the new guy scored a few. I blocked a couple shots. But they just could not miss from the 3 point line. By the end of the night we had 82 points, our highest output ever. But they had 95 and we still lost by a lot.

It was a lot of fun. I was a little disappointed to finish it on the bench but hey...I played well, had fun, and we finished strong. Good times.

No comments: