Saturday

Racquetball

After not playing for a couple of days, today i played 25.

We talked a bit about how to improve before the game, and I was telling him the proper way to set up for a shot and execute it. he promptly took the advice and we had some stellar games.

Rather, we had stellar games rally-wise, but they simply were not showing up on the scoreboard. The first two games he took 5-4 leads...and ended with 6 or 7 points. But the games were very close, it is just that he could not win more than 1 or 2 rallies in a row, whereas I would win 5 or 6 in a row.

The thing is, we were hitting about the same number of kill shots, I simply was using superior strategy. I was moving him side to side, making him run. I was using ceiling shots to get him out of the middle, and was moving into the middle myself.

The games were similar, I was just a half step better.

He kept getting better. In game 6 he actually took a 10-2 lead. No matter where I hit the ball he got to it, his kill shots and pinch shots were great. It was awesome. I fought and clawed, scoring a couple points here, breaking his serve, scoring one there, then 2 or 3...tying it at 12 and winning 15-13. It was inspiring because we were both playing super well and it was all I could do to win.

Game 7 was a blowout.

Game 8 I had a 10-4 lead and he clawed back to within one at 13-12. We were both running on E but I closed him out.

We went one final game and it was awesome.

He was serving well, hitting everything I hit back, running to the ball, reading my passing shots...it was tough to score on him.

he built a 10-2 lead, I fought back to take a 13-12 lead...and he scored the last three to win 15-13. A perfect ending.

It was inspiring watching him improve from game to game. Except one game, even when the score was lopsided the games were close. So much fun. And I am now wiped.

No comments: