Saturday

Racquetball Chronicles

25 and I met for some noon racquetball.

Started out poorly; it wasn't just that my serve was on and his returns were off...it was his serve was off, my returns were on, and our rallies were tilted heavily in my favor. He scored 8 points in the first three games. Combined.

Games got closer, we had some strategy sessions and suddenly the rallies got intense.

We had some clser games where he hit double digits, including one where he took a 14-13 lead, I tied it, he broke my serve and I broke his back, then finished it with a running forehand rollout, as good a shot as I have hit.

And in the 11th game he played the best I have seen him play.

His serves were crisper and nastier...I was returning most of them, but they were forced, weak returns. And those returns he was putting away. Meanwhile, all but my nastiest, sidewall crotch serves were being returned by him.

Best of all, he was doing to me what i typically do to others. No matter how good a passing shot I hit, he found a way to get to it. He kept his return passes close to the wall and low to the ground. He was playing lights out.

I played very well...and he still won pretty handily, about 15-6.

There were points where it felt like I might never win another rally from him in my life he was playing that well.

Then the next game it was turnabout, as i took a pretty easy 15-6 win of my own and after 2:45 of play we packed it in. Fully 45 minutes longer than I have ever played before. It was pretty awesome. Some incredible rallies, which i always love.

I was doing a better job of being patient...letting the ball drop, transferring my weight, and hitting it. It led to numerous won points from that. Also, my serving was very strong; at one point I served 3 or 4 sidewall crotch serves that were impossible to return.

Very fun, good times.

No comments: