Monday

HYD Tournament

We had a "D League or below" tournament. We were going to be tight on players...only 10 of us showing up. And then one of the 10 was not there for the first game...so we went with a 3 player outfield. No big deal.

Top of our first did not last long. 3 groundouts. Bottom of the first lasted a bit longer as we gave up a 3 spot. Top of the second went better...we had 4 batters. Bottom of the first was a little tougher...they had 1 in, 2 on, 1 out, and I played a grounder perfectly, moving to my left. All I had to do was scoop it up, step on the bag, and throw to first for the double play.I had done everything right. I watched their feet, swing, and the pitch location. I knew the situation. I had a plan for anywhere the ball was hit to me. And I got moving perfectly, the ball was right where I needed it...and I just whiffed. It rolled right under my glove. Fortunately we got the third out, but that was in my head.

We had just 3 batters that inning.

Next inning, almost the exact same situation except this time they had not scored. I played it perfectly, this time got my glove on the ball...and left it on the ground. Another easy double play I turned into base runners. They scored 1 because of that.

Our 1, 2, 3 hitters again. Ryan dribbled to short, outran the throw and was safe...except as the pitcher started their windup he was then called out because he touched the white bag while running there. Becky then hit a smash down the line to left and their left fielder made a spectacular leaping back hand catch to turn an easy triple into out number 2. I then flew out to deep right.

I managed to boot another ball in the bottom half of the inning though by that point it was over anyway. We got shut out and mercy ruled.

Game 2 was against a team that had gotten slaughtered 19-3. Again we were up first. Ryan made an out, Becky singled, I tried to go the other way and instead lined a base hit into left center. Our next hitter struck out...oops. We went to the bottom half tied at 0.

I made a play (finally) on a grounder and caught a pop in the infield. I started to get a bit of confidence back. We got shut down again. I made another play, our outfield was on fire, and JJ caught a liner. 2 innings, no runs. We now were scoreless for 5 innings for the day, maybe 6.

Becky led off and singled. Then I did go the other way and tripled over their right fielders head. Becky scored and the drought was over. Julie brought me in with a fly to left and we had a 2-0 lead.

Made a couple more plays as we built a 7-2 lead, though I still struggled at the plate, flying to left my next at-bat, but that was okay. We were scoring, playing good d, and doing well.

They did threaten finally, loading the bases with 1 or 2 runs in and 1 out. Guy hit a soft grounder to my left. For the third time all I had to do was pick it up, step on the bag, throw to first. Easy play. And for the third time I completely botched it. 6 runs later we were down by 1 and I for one was demoralized. So demoralized that a grounder hit straight to me i did not charge, let come to me, fielded cleanly but the throw was WAY late.

I made one more error of note. Sharp hit ground ball too far to my left. Somehow I made the play. Ironic. All day simple, easy, lightly hit ground balls were essentially unplayable for me. Hit a sharp grounder just about straight over 2nd and I get it...spun, saw the first basemen, and LASERED it...nowhere near anybody. Wasn't our first basemen I had seen, it was their coach, but even him the ball was nowhere near.

We got 10 runned again.

And I was completely crushed by the way I played. I am pathetic. I suck. I cannot believe how bad I am.

No comments: