Monday

Texas Hold 'Em

I was pretty pumped. Nate was bringing FOUR people with him, had 2 people from Craigslist, 5 people from the softball team, Roman was showing, a couple more from work said they would show up...I was worried 2 tables would not be enough. Then Nate called...he had a fight with his wife and wasn't showing, we called Becky...she bought an ATV, they were not coming, and so forth...we ended up with a sad showing of 6 people. On the bright side...a good group.

Early on I was not getting much to play. But I hit a little run...pocket 10s, picked up a bit, pocket queens, lost a bit, A/k, lost a bit, k/j, lost a bit...hmm. Pocket Kings, picked up a nice pot. Next hand, pocket Kings, picked up a few hundred, showed them...back to back hands with the kings, nice. Used my image of having a hot run to raise with A/J, on a ragged Queen high flop, raised again, everyone folded, I was chip lead, nobody in real danger.

Picked up pocket jacks. Phil called. He had tilted toward me a bit and talked about it since he was in on both my Pocket King hands and I had seen him play a hand where he hit top pair on a 7 high flop and he played it rather strongly and only won when he paired his Jack on the river to beat pocket 9s. This flop was another just like it...4,5,6 rainbow. He came out with a pretty small bet...200 into a pot of about 800. I had him covered so we were playing for about 5K. I re-raised to 1000, he hesitantly called. I initially put him on maybe a suited Ace where he hit the top pair again, though I also tentatively put him on an overpair. Turn was ugly, a King. Something about the way he reacted made me believe he had hit it but when he bet 1000 I called anyway. Part of that was pure ego. I never think I can't come back from taking a hit and I had the chip lead by a shade over 2K when the hand started. That was a frustration call, a tilt call because I thought I had him up until then. River was a blank. I figured him for 2 pair at worst but by now when he went all-in for his last 1200 there were 6K in there...1200 to win 6K, I better be real sure I am beat to fold. I was sure...and called anyway because I am an idiot. And he had me the whole way...he had pocket Kings.

I was still okay, had about 2K, blinds of 1/200. About 3 hands later I picked up 5/6 clubs in the small blind and everyone folded to me. I thought about raising to drive Emily out but A) she is so competitive with me she would call anyway. Bluffing her off a pot I am in is all but impossible and B) she is fully capable of re-raising me and with just 2K left I am not calling that with a 6 high. I limped, she checked. Flop was great for me...4c, 5d, 7c. I picked up middle pair, straight, flush, and straight flush draws. I raised, she called. Turn was the King of Clubs...I hit my flush. I went all in. She called. And flipped up...3/9 of clubs. I was drawing to 1 out, the 8 of clubs. She had the 3 that would have helped me. River was a blank and in 2 played hands I went from chip lead to first out, mostly on 2 horrible calls when I (correctly) believed I was behind Phil but knew I could come back and played for the miracle card. That was stupid. The hand with Emily...in that situation I am not good enough to get away from that hand. No way did I put her on a made flush and I don't feel bad about that hand at all. If I did not put myself in low position with a couple misplays earlier I would not need to push here anyway. Overall I played well but getting outplayed by Phil basically put me out first.

No comments: