Sunday

Sah Hah Lee 3/20/15

It may have been a stressful week at work, this I can neither confirm nor deny. I was going to the Nelon concert at 7 towards Molalla so I headed that way early to "beat" traffic (wherein "beat" means sit in a few minutes less than I would if I left a few minutes later). I got there early enough I decided to try a new golf course, and that turned out to be Sah Hah Lee

It turned out to be a par 3. Okay, no worries, I can try that.

The first hole is a 143 yard tee off a cliff with water in front. I like these holes. I try my 8-iron. It has a beautiful shape, skying high, coming down hard...

And Coming down well, several feet onto the green. As usual I leave the first putt a good 4' short, but a 2-putt starts me off well with a par.


Hole 2 is 98 yards. Just right for my gap wedge.

Unless, of course, I leave it short.Which I did, though not horribly so. This is where I really need to get better; this should be an easy up and down.
I don't get on the green and barely get on the green with my second attempt however, and then have a long 2 putt. I leave the first one short 6' but drain that to "save" the double bogey. Oops.



Third hole is 134 yards across some inconsequential water. I try my 8 iron with a soft hit. I land a bit short of pin high, wide right.


Nothing a punch on almost off the green on the far side followed by a three putt cannot turn into a 5. ouch, back to back bogeys.

Here is the thing. I don't FEEL like I am playing poorly...every shot is around the green...but I am playing poorly. From as close as I am I should be taking 2 shots to get in the hole after my tee shot but I am taking 4.

Next hole is a 143 yarder and I do what you are supposed to; 8 iron lands on the green, 2 putt, par.

A 108 yarder sees my 9 iron land just short but a nice chip lets me 1-putt for par. THAT is what I need to learn how to do from that distance.

I have to wait for a couple guys I had caught up to who were...how do I politely say...slow. They wanted me to play through on the next hole which I appreciated. It was a 125 yard hole across a bit of water. 9 iron and when I swung it felt like I picked it clean instead of clipping the tee. Thinking it was way wide and way long, I said "oops!"



They laughed. "You are going to like that". I would as it landed on the green pin high and somewhat left. As usual I left the first putt 4ish feet short, but managed to roll that in to score my 4th straight par.


Now a 151 yard hole with a bit of a sand trap guarding the left. I aimed somewhat right with my 8 iron. I went short and way right. Somehow I managed to conjure up a shot that put me on the front of the green. Then I went past the hole...hooray...about 5 feet. Missed the comeback, had a 3-putt for a 5. Ouch.

Last hole, 120 yards. 9 iron....and I took a big divot, leaving it well short.

Nothing I could not fix by trying a sand wedge. For the first time all day I had a mis-hit, skulling it about 6" above the ground and left of the green.

From here it took me 2 to get onto the green. That is not the finish I wanted.

But I did 2-putt for par.

On the day I took 18 putts...2 per hole. I can live with that. I had 5 pars, including 4 in a row, and 4 double bogeys. Interesting.

It lets me know for sure what I need to work on....chips from 20 yards or less. I am awful at those.

Still, a fun day and I am always happy with 5 pars in 9 holes...

No comments: