Tuesday

King City, Multiple Rounds

After the fitting/lesson, I was anxious to get out and try the new thoughts. I knew going in that I was likely to play poorly while implementing these things but I wanted to see what would happen. Unfortunately, we had racquetball.

Even more unfortunately, I played awful. Skipopotamus was in full effect. I skipped from the backcourt. I skipped from the midcourt. I skipped form the front court. I skipped my money corner kill. I skipped passing shots. It was almost as if I was mixing a golf swing with a racquetball swing...I played so badly I actually lost 3 of 8 games, my worst win-rate in years.

And afterwards, what better thing to do than, armed with fatigue from walking 27 holes the day prior, doing weights and playing 2-1/2 hours racquetball this day, and having a new swing path to try out, what better thing to do than go golfing?

I used The Grint and here is what I did:


3 bogeys. Everything else double or worse. 7 Penalty strokes. 3 FIR. 0 GIR. 16 putts. A 50.
On the back I more or less reverted to my own stroke.
2 penalties, 3 FIR, 2 GIR, 3 pars, 16 putts, a 43. 93 for the round. Better.

It was hilarious. I would take my first swing the way I was shown at Redtail. After the penalty I would take my swing. After the hole Bob (the guy I was paired with) would say "Nice par" while I was taking a double after the OB/penalty. In other words...I was playing well with my swing. But I intend to fix it because overall it is the wrong swing.


Then Monday I went out, last sunny day and my first time carrying the clubs.

Shot a 50 going out in a slow round playing from the whites for first time in a whilte. I had 2 Fir, 1 GIR, 1 Par, 17 putts, 3 penalties (6 strokes).

On the back I thought I had nobody in front of me. I lambasted a beautiful drive, left side of fairway, then a GIR to follow my fir, albeit very far left. I had a nice lag putt and...left the ball one rotation from going in. Bogey.

And found someone still teeing off on the next hole. Someone I know to be a slow player. So I decided to skip the hole. And got to the next hole to find a couple hitting the ball about 20 yards at a whack. So I skipped that hole.

Ended up not taking score...or rather, putting the score on the Grint but incomplete.

8 iron on the 143 was short left fringe. ended up with 2-putt for bogey.

8 iron long and right, my chip on should have left me a par putt but I missed it, another bogey. Ironically, I was playing well...

Then the narrow hole I struggle with. Beautiful drive with 7 woods over tree to 95 yards out, behind a tree. It is a tall tree but I believed I could take my gap wedge over it, a solid 85-95 yard club. I lined up my shoulders, made a nice smooth swing, the ball sailed over the tree with ease, I smiled, stepped left to watch it crush the green...or, more accurately, land 20 yards beyond the green. Nothing 3 blown chips could not make worse...

Then I actually put a nice long drive on the left rough, but clean shot at green. 150 yards from green, 8 iron, no problems. Unless of course the iron blows 30 yards past the green...and I then hit a low branch with first chip, oh, it is ugly.

Then I yank my first drive ob left, my second long and right, blow the chip...

lets just say I am probably glad there is no scorecard because it would have been a tall number. But still fun because I was walking and golfing.

16 holes for the day.

No comments: