Thursday

For the most part I have been trying to just “play my cards” with a few exceptions…the call the continuation bet on the flop, then raise the turn when they check it move being the most obvious exception.

But sometimes I mis-play pre-flop which is dangerous. Playing 2/5, second hand of the session, utg+1 opens to .17 with 1.93, cut-off calls with 3.15, and on the button with Kd/Ac I have a choice; I can fold…too weak…call…bad idea…or raise, the best option.

The early raise represents almost any playable hand…any pocket pair, almost any suited hand, A/10+, maybe even just connectors. I used to have a tighter range for others, but the more I play, the more I see that the above range is more accurate.

Same for the call. And all too often, if I re-raise here, one is almost certain to fold and both are likely to do so. But if I let them see a cheap flop I will almost certainly get drawn out on by even the most modest of holdings.

Being a poor player, for whatever reason, I simply call and let them in cheaply.

The flop is horrible for my hand…5c/9c/6h. UTG+1 checks and the cut-off min-bets. This flop hit a lot of those hands I fear…but it missed a lot, too. The check screams extreme…either he missed the flop completely and will fold to any bet or else he hit it hard and wants to check-raise. I seriously doubt he has something like A/6s which he might bet to protect.

The min-bet screams pure weakness and trying to steal the pot. I elect to ignore my cards and play my read. I re-raise to .35 and am happy to see them both fold. However, had the cut-off called, then checked the turn, I would bet again. If he bet the turn, I probably fold since at that point I have to believe he has part or all of the flop.

An example of why I have widened my starting ranges for opponents follows: UTG+1 opens to .15 with 24.55, I fold, mp calls with 7.62, next guy also calls with 3.10. With .52 in the pot, including the blinds, a raise and two calls, the button goes all in 5.36 and gets a call from the small blind with 3.11.

To make that raise, I would expect queens or better, and from the call Kings, Aces, or Big Slick. The button shows Jacks…a hair worse than expected, but at the edge of believable range. Many people over-value them because they are paint. I used to but have backed off that considerably.

The small blind shows eights..just flat-out bad.The best he could expect to be up against was a coin-flip, the worst would be exactly where he was…under pair versus over pair. And just because I know I will be curious later…the Jacks held up, including hitting their set on the river.

This ends up being a very nice session. I end with about 1.40 to the good...28 big blinds. More importantly, I do so without being all in, playing any big pots...just picking up a bit here and there, mostly by raising good hands close to the button and either winning with a continuation bet on the flop or, more rarely, calling flop continuation bets, then betting the turn when they check or folding when they bet.

It is a pretty good formula I should follow more often.

No comments: