Tuesday

How You Doin'

Well, we were matched up with the Hawaiian shirt wearing team. They have a very large roster but sometimes get confused about who is supposed to show up. They were worried they might have to forfeit but scraped together a full 10...actually, 11. Apparently it was guys they were short.

We started slow. I was batting third. Top half I came up with Becky 2 on first and 1 out. I was a bit discombobulated and unprepared to bat. He gave me a great pitch to hit and I went up the middle with it. When I am hitting well I hit a lot of grounders because I can more or less place it where I want it and when I am "on" that means a double since I can place it between fielders.

In this case I whacked it off the poor pitcher's ankle, it ricocheted off the second ankle, and right to the shortstop who forced Becky at second. A foot to the left or right and it is a great piece of hitting since they had NOBODY in the center portion of the field. I might have tripled it was that wide open. Instead it was a horrible piece of hitting that put us in a quick 2 out hole. Fortunately, our big sticks came through and we punched a couple runs across.

Bottom half of the inning I had just one chance, a high hopper that I charged and, in a rarity, pegged a perfect throw. Oddly, when I am stationary and make the fundamentally correct throwing motions I seem to have accuracy issues. But when I am running pretty much full speed and throwing across my body while leaping in the air, the throw is extremely accurate. So backwards. I suck.

Anyhow, next at-bat I was leading off. I wanted to hit...but he gave me nothing. 4 straight balls and I walked. I am pretty much a free-swinger so I VERY seldom walk...I am also a junk ball hitter, so seeing 3 pitches in an at-bat is even unusual. I always believe I can take about any pitch and hit it wherever I want. I am wrong...but I believe that. So walking...not so fond of.

Still, I was on 2nd. Jules grounded to third...and he barely looked at me so I took third. Then Steve grounded to third...and having seen his arm, I thought I could score since I could get home before he could throw to first and she could relay it home. Yes, I took advantage of their weak arms. I will justify myself by saying my run only made the score 6-1 and in softball...well, a 5 run lead is not super safe. Good thing I did because otherwise we would not have scored that inning. It was good, aggressive, and most importantly, smart base running and scored a run that otherwise would not have.

Moved to the outfield, had no chances out there.

Next at-bat we had bases loaded, 1 out. I got under it a bit and drove a fly to deep left-center. It got over her head but for a few seconds it looked like she might catch it so our runners held. As a result, 2 scored but we had people just on first and second. I was said...I like the 2 base hits. I am greedy...

Moved over to first base for an inning. Jules is getting so much better...she caught a tough over her head pop early in the game, and now she cleanly handled a sharply hit grounder and got it to me in time to nip a fairly quick runner. Her throw was low but to my left so I was able to stretch and snag it. Under the circumstances, she made a very nice play. Proud of her on that one. Steve made a nice throw so I got 2 chances and handled them both.

My final at bat we were well ahead, something like 15-1. So I did not bother trying to get a hit...I just wanted to do something I seldom do and unleash my swing. 19 times out of 20 I hit it to right field. I can place it so well just by adjusting the length and speed of my swing. This time I decided to pull the ball for the first time in about 4 years. Pull is right...the first pitch landed in right field. Of the field behind us. I pulled that so far left it cleared 2 fences. The second pitch was a ball, but the third one was in my happy zone...letter high, just inside the center of the plate. I hammered it down the line. It landed on the warning track about 2 feet inside the line and I rolled into 3rd with a triple. Felt good to actually give a real swing for a change.

Anyhow, I was watching from the bench for the final inning. We gave up a 3 spot but were never really in danger and won 15-4.

Kind of nice to be on the right end of a game like that. Had been 0-3 coming in. Everybody was hitting well and playing solid defense. And it was pretty fun. Of course, not stretching or warming up by jogging before hand means I think I pulled something...my left leg is feeling it. But it was totally worth it!

No comments: