Friday

HYD, 10/11

Got there a little closer to game time than I might like. We looked like we might be short-handed, but got a last second replacement from Erin, Becky's friend.



Due to the guys we had I started in left field. I was not wearing my glasses. This is bad. Sure enough, about the third or 4th batter hit it my way. It took me a couple seconds to pick up the ball and it looked like a pop up. I took a step up, figured out that was the wrong way, and started backwards. I thought I had it the whole way, I was just jogging because I did not want to over run it. I didn't. Of course, I did not catch up to it, either because it was over my head. Had I been wearing my glasses I think I would have caught it easily, instead the guy ended up on 2nd. They ended up scoring a couple runs that inning. I felt bad.

Bottom half, our first 2 hitters both made outs. I came up and they were leaving my beloved right-center power alley open. I drove it pretty good, just a few feet short of the fence. I steamed into 3rd easily and someone dropped the relay throw so I kept going and scored. At least we would not be shut out tonight.

Phil had been playing right-center to my left-center, he and I flipped and that was a good switch because he proceeded to have one of the best defensive nights I have seen on that level. I did not see another ball for a couple innings so at least I wasn't hurting us.

I led off the next time I came to bat and we were tied I believe. I did my "line my feet up left and look that way" bluff that to me is the most obvious bluff in the world. And their right-center fielder headed into straight-away center leaving me that right-center power alley. Sadly, this time I got under it a bit and was straight-away right field but again I easily rolled into third. I scored on a drive down the third base line.

My next time up, Becky was on first. She is pretty quick. This time the guy was in my happy zone but center field was wide open. I tried to line it up the middle but topped the ball. It was hot enough that the pitcher could knock the ball down but not catch it and we were on first and second. I ended up scoring our 6th run and was feeling all right..I had actually scored half our runs at that point.

Then came a rough inning. J.J. walked a few batters, Steve missed a few at short, a ball fell just in front of Phil, and then...well...bad news.

A guy popped it my way, in front of me. I came running up as fast as I could. I could see I wasn't going to get there on my feet so I laid out for it.

Uh...yeah. The last time I "laid out" for a ball I was probably 16 or 17, in pretty good shape, and regularly engaged in athletic activities. This "lay out" looked a lot like a middle age pseudo-athlete trying something he has not done for a long time. Hmm. Sounds like me...middle-age pseudo-athlete trying something I have not done for a long time...with the expected results.

I missed the ball by about a foot. Worse, I landed heavily and awkwardly on my left arm. It was outstretched when I dove and it bent really funky. I weigh too much to lay all my weight on any appendage, so that probably wasn't a very good idea.

Next play was a ground ball right up the middle. Steve let it go, I made one of the best plays I have made in years. At a dead run charging in I bare-handed the wet ball and LASERED it to second. Sadly, it was not good for the out because their runner was fast and a ground ball into the outfield...well...you probably aren't going to get the runner. But it was close. Bare handing a ball is never easy, a wet one is worse...and doing it at a dead run, then making a strong, accurate throw? I was happy with it.

But my arm was crushing me. I was hoping no more balls would be hit my way. That is not normal for me. I usually want to be the guy with the chance to make the play.

I did take one more fly which I handled.

Then we came up down 6, 12-6 after a couple rough innings in the field and a couple bad innings at the plate. Last at bat. Roman singled. Becky singled. I was up...and could not swing right handed so I flipped around and went from the left. I kept telling myself to suck it up, put one good swing on it, and just single or something.

First pitch was outside and no way was I extending. I thought it was a strike, he called it a ball. Second pitch was perfect...and I just could not pull the trigger. Third pitch was a bit low but still in my happy zone. A nice, smooth swing to make some light contact was what was called for...no more pressure on the arm, just slap it and load the bases. So I did what any idiot would do, I came out of my shoes with a home run swing. And whiffed completely.

So I hurt the team yet again with yet another stupid play. Will I ever learn? Probably not. We did score a couple, but I pretty much killed the rally. I just don't have that clutch ability anymore. Makes me sad.

No comments: