Friday

Mixers, 6/28

Things looked good early. Emily actually decided to play which I was pretty excited about. However, despite her, Roman, Amanda, and Gypsy being at the table we also had a couple people that suppressed the mood. It was not quite as jovial as Tuesday for whatever reason. Oh, well.

First hand I picked up A/10. I raised to 200 from 2nd position. Amanda and Gypsy both called. Flop was Q/K/Q. To call I had them both on at least face cards so figured I needed to run down Kings at best and trip queens was another possibility...also, a straight draw was out there. Eric bet, I folded. At the showdown he had 2 pair, Amanda had a boat with Queens over Jacks.

Next hand picked up pocket 7s. Raised. Lost on the river.

Called Amandas raise with Q/10. Lost a few hundred there.

Called another dude's raise with A/J. Lost a few hundred there.

Raised with Pocket 5's. Flop gave 2 hearts, when it was checked to me I raised again. Turn was another heart. I raised. River was a 4th heart. I was pretty sure one of my 5's was a heart and they were both passive so I raised one more time. They both laid down 2 pair to my 5 high flush.

Raised with 8/10 from the button, everyone folded.

At this point they were not believing I had hands but I was seriously only playing what I consider solid hands that I would play from the correct positions. The 2 new guys were chirping a bit about it. I showed a couple hands I had raised with, both pocket pairs.

Then came a costly, costly hand. I had pocket 7s and I raised. Emily called, Gypsy called. Flop came with low cards, a couple clubs. I raised, they both called. Turn was another club and gave me a straight flush draw to go with my pair. I raised. Both called. I tried to piece together what they had. I figured I had them both beat at that point. Turn was yet another low club...there was a 5 high straight flush draw out there. I raised 500. Emily came over the top to 1000. Regardless of what Gypsy did I was folding. That raise meant she had, at the least, an Ace High flush. Eric called. I folded my straight, flush, and pair having put over 1/3rd of my chips into this hand. Sure enough, Emily turned up the straight flush, the second one she has gotten. It was a nice, nice hand for her.

The next hand I picked up pocket 6s and raised again, 2 callers. The flop gave me a backdoor straight draw and was 7 high. One of my skeptics raised 200. I pondered coming over the top all-in but decided to call along with the other skeptic. Turn was another 2. Someone commented on it. First guy checked, second guy checked, I raised, first guy folded, second guy came over the top all in. Since he had been complaining about my raises and not believing I had anything I thought there was a good chance he had not but an overpair, certainly nothing that fit the flop. He had me covered as the previous hand had dropped me to 2900 when the hand started and by the time he went all in I had but 1800 not committed. I called...and he flipped up 2/9. The other critic showed the 4/6 he had played...which meant I was drawing dead to the case 6 against his trip 2s. Out I went.


Looking back there is not a whole lot I would have done different. I was getting hand after hand. I had 5 or 6 pocket pairs on the night and a couple other really, really solid hands. I raised properly, I just ran into other people hitting even better hands...a straight flush, a full house, a couple straights...the one difference is when he went all in I should have laid it down. 6s are nice I suppose, but vulnerable. I would have needed to come over the top earlier in the hand to put pressure on them. It was the one hand I played passively, letting others lead the betting, and it cost me. Oh, well. Let's see if I learned my lesson. Next time I play (in 2 weeks :-( ) I will be in full raise or fold mode.

No comments: