Monday

The Company Game

11 people showed. Kenneth was the only one I had played with before. We got a horrendously late start, but once we got going we had a table of 5 and a table of 6.

To my right was Travis. Travis is relatively solid but fairly predictable. I picked up his betting pattern early and had a solid read. To his left was Nathan, a wild bluffer who freely admitted that. To his left was Jeff...erratic, but predictable. To his left (and my right) was Mike.

Early on I could not catch a hand. I pretty much was only playing the blinds and hitting nothing there. Nathan bluffed me off one hand, then I called with 2 pair and he had a flush so I was down about 2000 (started with 5). I worked my way back up, finally caught a few hands. Won one with a bluff. Then came a couple key hands, both involving Nathan.

In the first I was in the big blind, he raised to 3 times, I immediately put him on a high pocket pair, a couple callers and I had K/8 so I called it. Flop brought a pair of tens and an 8. I bet it, he and Jeff called. Right there I figured anything but another 8 and I was done with the hand. Turn brought a 10 giving me a full house, 10s over 8s. Nathan bet into it. Jeff called. I folded. That's right, I folded a full house. And at the showdown Nathan busted Jeff out when Jeff called again and Nathan had the pocket 9s.

Not too much later I picked up A/Q and jacked it up 3 times the blind. Flop gave me top pair and 2 rags. I raised. Nathan reraised. I called. Turn was a blank, I raised, he re-raised, I called. River brought a possible flush. I checked. He raised 2000. I thought and thought and thought. Finally I looked at him and said, "Hit your flush?" He said nothing but his eyeblink rate increased a lot. Finally I convinced myself he was bluffing and called off about half of what I had left, putting another 2000 into a pot that was already about 15 or 20. I shamefully flipped up my Queen Ace....and he flipped up a hand of nothing.

From there I was cruising and wiped out the rest of my table.

At the final table, the last 5 of us it was tough. They would raise and call like maniacs. It was almost impossible to get a read on them. They were playing 15 and 20K pots with Jack High...or a flush. They showed down every hand. Being short-handed the blinds came fast so I was blinded and bet off about half my stack.

Got to heads up and we had 7 straight hands shown down...and she won every one of them. That put me on a short timer. When I got A/8 I went all in for about 4K. She called with 9/3, spiked the nine on the turn and I was done, finished in 2nd.

I think I played really well overall. Very few mistakes, got good reads, was putting people at the first table on the hands they actually had (twice correctly putting people on Big Slick).

No comments: