Monday

OHSU Charity tournament, 2/17/2007

It started late...no problem. I took the optional add-on to double to 2000 chips, Emily didn't. Picked up a couple early pots with marginal hands. Meanwhile, Emily busted out. she rebought but again did not take the add-on.

I slowly built my stack but other people were building theirs quicker. I noticed Em was growing hers, so that was cool. I hit a straight and about tripled up, then did not catch a hand for quite some time. Meanwhile, she joined our table and sat next to me. She was short-stack for a while, going all-in three or four times and hitting it each time. I went all-in a couple times and doubled up each time as well.

I could not pick up a hand for anything. Then came a dangerous hand. The guy in 2nd position, who played similar to me but would raise weaker hands like k/j, raised 200. It came around to me and I looked at A/Q suited. I raised to 600, folded around to him and he immediately went all-in. Folds around to me. I went through the list of raises he had made and put him on a pair of Jacks initially...then remembered his Jack raise. It was a smaller raise and I thought he might be trapping with pocket rockets. If he was then my tournament was most likely over since he had me covered and I would need 2 of my 3 outs. Or he could have a lower pair and I would be at best a coin flip. It wasn't worth it, I explained my reasons, folded...and he flipped the pocket rockets. We went rabbit hunting and I came up dry. Good fold.

Once I had A/7 and maybe 1-1/2 blinds left, maybe less so I went all-in. The flop came 7/blank/7. Then the board paired itself. They all laughed figuring I was gone. I flipped up my ace saying, "That's the card I went all-in on." One guy started to reach for the chips and I flipped up my 7. "And that's the card i will stick around a bit longer on." with the full house. It was a cool moment.

Our table got moved again and this time I was at a table where 3 different people either folded or went all-in so I could not even play marginal hands since someone was all-in every hand. I ended up all but blinded out and went out 11th.

Meanwhile Emily was playing very well, followed my advice to "don't get involved in any big hands" and built her chip stack to a very nice level. She made the final table in only her 4th live tournament and less than 2 months of playing!

She was okay for a while but really wanted the 6th place prize more than any other so when a guy left in 7th place she looked at her cards, saw 4/7 off and went all-in. 2 callers, both with better hands. Was looking good...until the flop was a 5/6/blank. She still had the worst hand but any straight would be the nuts because neither other had anything better than a shot at a pair. Fortunately she missed it and was gone in a fine showing. 6th place...I am super proud of that performance by her!!!!!

No comments: