Monday

Finnegans, 2/16

I wanted to get in one more practice session using my new, more aggressive play style so I headed out to Newberg again. This time the Goose did not go so it was just me.

First hand I picked up pocket 10s. I raised it up, raised the flop, 4 (FOUR!) callers, on the flop, 1 raised, 1 folded, 1 re-raised, so I folded.

Next hand I was under the gun but picked up pocket 6s. I raised again, couple calls, no help on the flop, raised anyway, only 1 called, no help on fourth street but the board paired itself, raised again and he folded. Raked in a nice pot. Next hand picked up pocket 4s. 3 raises before it got to me, folded.

Big Slick was worth another strong raise. Dude to my right (very irritating, self-important know-it-all, by the way) came over the top all in., I hesitated almost a half second before calling. He had A-Q. No help to either of us and he was done.

2 hands later I busted out his replacement.

Meanwhile, hands I was NOT in the guy to my left was all over the place...calling down to the river on anything...then raising and getting people to fold. I paid him twice to see what he was doing. He is a maniac, no doubt. With a flop of A-Q-3 he called a raise/re-raise. He staid all the way, picked up a 9 on the river to give him 2 pairs, 9-3. He does that a lot. I mentioned I paid him twice and I could have taken it back whenever I wanted as soon as I got a hand...dude is a calling station like nobodies business. Unfortunately...I then got moved to another table.

At this one I had people on both sides of me smoking which reduced my enjoyment considerably. And unlike the first table where I was hot, here I could not catch a hand. About 45 minutes and 6 cigarettes in I cauht J-2 and played it. Yes, j/2 off. And played it when a guy went all-in. And I followed suit just to get out of there. I knew now I am able to play on their level when I wish and my purpose was accomplished. I had been table chip leader by a long shot, had some new moves in my arsenal and am proud of my accomplishment.

No comments: