Friday

Playing on tilt

didn't really feel like playing last night but it was too early to go to bed and I was just...uninspired, so decided to play a couple of rounds of poker.

First off, picked up a 27 person sit & go tournament. The opening hand saw 5 people go all-in pre-flop. Whatever. The guy that won went all-in with...get this...6/10 suited. That is a marginal hand to play any time, much less from under the gun. Even worse...he HIT IT. Beating out pocket rockets, big slick, a Q/J o-s and some other random hand that was even worse...like a 2/3 off or something. Well, with the massive lead he was doing the bully thing...betting in 2, 3, 4, 500 EVERY pre-flop. You knew he wasn't hitting every one...but when you only have 1500, you better have a good hand to even play so I was not getting in to many hands. I think I played 2 hands and hit one to get to about 2500 chips. Then I caught Cowboys, the Night Riders came on the flop and the other two cards were pretty widely spaced so I bet into it and he called. 4th Street was an Ace. Not good. He bet into it, but not so much that I should fold, so I called. Sure enough, the River was an Ace, but the last call essentially had me pot committed. Even knowing he had me beat I called and sure enough, trips aces. He bet on runner runner Aces on the flop. I went out in 7th place. You read that right. I played 3 hands and was the 20th person out. Methinks people were playing a bit loose.

So I hit a second one, this one a 9 person pod. Still wasn't catching cards. It was not until the 9th hand that I saw a flop. That is when I realized it was pot limit.Obviously I was not paying enough attention... I did not have the patience, so I announced, "Can't catch cards, watch for the tilt bet". Sure enough, I bet into everything...and was winning. With garbage. 2/4 off? Sure, I will bet the pot. What? The flop is 3 4 4? Crap.
Fortunately I was still able to bust out pretty quickly and move on. I hate pot limit, I played it yesterday (and won, I might add...) and did not have the patience for it last night. What I really wanted was to play hand after hand after hand.
So I dodged the tournaments and went to the fun tables. Whereas in the tournaments was I was playing less than 20% of the hands...yes, the cards were running bad enough that was actually too many....I was playing almost 90% of these hands. I did not want to lose too much, though, so I only started with 1000 chips. I got down to about 450 before I caught a real playable hand. I bet into it, everyone followed, I had 2500 chips. After that, anytime I bet into a hand they folded so it got boring. I called it a night and went to bed with a net gain of maybe 300 chips for the night when you take my tourney entry fees into account.

No comments: