Thursday

Red Tail 7.17.19

I want to analyze my round from Red Tail on 7-18-19. I had a few minutes on the putting green, had some speed issues…still putting past the hole, but that may not be a bad thing…a lot of them were 2-3’, not ideal but not crippling. I can sink putts from there.



 

Hole 1: Par 4, trees on right, fence on left, a pond guarding the front right, sand front left.

The plan: Bang a mid iron out to roughly the 150 marker, take a 9i if a good tee shot, 8i if not, should be on the green or fringe, count on a 2-tap.

The action: I hit my 6i, a beautiful shot, and got 204 out of it with a light draw that left it just right of the centerline, 131 yards from the pin. I left a PW short, had an okay chip that left me about an 8’er I missed pin high, tap in bogey.

What went right: The tee shot was a thing of beauty. It left me in position to score and with a soft pin location, this had birdie potential with a good approach shot. Also, when I missed the approach, my chip was decent. It gave me a look at it, but was not in the 3’ circle.

What went wrong: the approach shot. I tried to hit a 135 yard PW and got 114 yards out of it. My wedges have been consistently short, that cost me a scoring opportunity for sure.



Hole 2, downhill par 3, flag at 131 again, GUR replacing sand trap short right, water right and long, somewhat of a bail-out area to the left.

The plan: I am going to hit the PW, should be on the green, 2-tap.

The action: it drifts a bit right, rolls into the sand trap. Since that is ground under repair, I drop outside it, it buries in the deep grass. I use the Mickelson front foot to flight it, hit a great chip and tap in about a 2’er for par.

What went right: The chip was a stroke saver. After missing the green I figured a bogey was most likely but it was so good it left me an easy one.

What went wrong: the wedge drifting right. To be fair, the distance was good and it wasn’t all that far off line…maybe 20 yards? Not a perfect shot but certainly a playable one.



Hole 3 tight par 4, somewhat uphill

The Plan: I have been between the trees on the right several times, did not like it. I want to leave a shade under 150 in with something that will be in the fairway, maybe slightly left of center. I think a 6’ up the gut should leave a short iron in.

The action: A near perfect 6i goes inside the 150 marker leaving me a clear shot at the pin. The famous PW comes out for a third consecutive hole and for a third time it is not what I was looking for…really good contact, beautiful flight…to the back of the green when the pin is at the front. I have a long lag putt I leave about 6’ on, and 2-putt from there. 3-putt bogey.

What went right: My tee shot was about as good as I have had on this hole. I have no tree issues, no need to be creative, no need to hit anything stressful or hard.I am in position to score. And the first lag putt was pretty decent considering length and slope.

What went wrong: the approach shot. It was a distance issue, and left me with a very difficult putt.



Hole 4: Uphill longish par 4, trees on right, sand short left of green.

The plan: A tee shot to or inside the 150 marker, preferably on right side of the marker to open the green, followed by a mid iron that hopefully is on the green, 2-putt.

The action: I get a little left with my driver but am just at the 150 marker on the left side. Not far enough left to have tree issues, I am in the rough but in good position, 165 from the flag, albeit with sand between us. The sand on this line is short enough of the green to not really be a factor. I debate between a 7i and 8i, remember how often I go long, am not worried about clearing the sand. I make a beautiful strike, towering shot…that goes 179 and is down the hill. From there a blind chip up hill I barely make it on the upper edge of green, 3-putt for a double.

What went right: My drive was on the shorter side, 229, but uphill that is not awful. It put me in really good position to score as I had an 8i in my hand and a clean approach. My strike on the 8 was pure.

What went wrong: my approach shot going long brought a big number into play. I thought I had hit a really good chip but that is the nature of a blind chip, what I thought was good turned out really short. I then mis-read the green leaving a lengthier second putt than necessary.



Hole 5: downhill par 4. Trees bordering right of fairway all the way down and crossing fairway at 160 from pin, sand protects almost entire green which is short side.

The Plan: If I was confident in my driver I would bang it out to the left, opening the green. But my miss is right, I have been by those trees bifurcating the fairway a lot. I am going to try to draw a 3h to inside the 150 marker and drop a 9i on the green. I want to avoid the trees and sand.

The action: a 3h that leaves me a happy 145 in. 9i is the clear play here. It will easily clear the sand and should land roughly center of green, should stop on green. Love that tee shot. I promptly blade the 9i over the hill behind the green, chip back, 2-putt.

What went right; the tee shot put me in probably the best location I have ever been on this hole between club selection, ball location, and angle to the green. I may once have had a driver that was better…but that is iffy. It was a fantastic tee shot. My chip back gave me a 6 or 8’ shot at saving par, I just missed it.

What went wrong; stop me if you have heard this before, the approach shot was awful, a mis-hit that cost me a stroke minimum.



Hole 6 Downhill par 3 guarded with a horsehoe pond, sand on the left. Pin at front of 2 tier green.

The plan: 9i to left front of green, if I fade I am in the center. Putt from there.

The action: really good strike carries me to upper tier, left fringe. It will require touch but I think I see the line. I just miss my line by a bit, leave maybe a 5’er which I duly miss because I cannot putt today.

What went right: Despite not hitting a good shot on the hole, I score a bogey. I am essentially a bogey golfer. I have no right to be displeased. This hole has trouble all over…one guy rinsed his leaving it right, the other hooked his over the sand and was beyond the red stakes. Yeah, my distance control was bad and my fringe putt could have been better…but I gave myself a reasonable look, just did not make it.

What went wrong: poor distance control on the tee, execution on my attempt to get close to the hole.



Hole 7: long narrow dogleg par 5. Driver landing zone protected by pond, right side blocked by trees that interject into fairway 200 out, go too far left and you are in other fairway hitting over sand to a narrow, tree lined fairway you will likely miss.

The plan: I want to hit my 3rd shot from the 150 marker (because, you know, I have been so lethal from just inside it all day…) so I am going 4i up left side off tee, 5i from there, and try to be on in three. I generally hit both those clubs pretty straight so it is an easy stress free hole despite being really difficult. Even if I am a bit off line on thethird shot, I am fine with a bogey on this hole.

The action: I fade the 4i, it clips the last tree. I have a potential hero shot through the right side but man…it could hit a tree or a limb and plunk in the water, if it gets through it is right at the line of trees…I am going to punch out and play for a bogey. I punch out. A smooth 5i puts me just inside 150 so I try that. Slice into the trees. No worries, I can punch out…elevate it, drops still in the trees. Another punch out. And 180 out…I come up on the green, chip on, 2-putt for a 9.

What went right: I wisely decided to punch out after the first tee shot. I was in great position…5i, 9i, 2 putt, bogey. I put myself in the right position.

What went wrong: everything else. A faded tee shot. A faded third shot. Having to take two tries to punch out from there. 3 punchout strokes on this hole with 2 faded shots…that is 5 strokes to leave me outside of 150! I was probably lucky to "only" score a 9 (recordable 8). Just a horrible, horrible hole. I still like my initial plan and even my recovery plan, but you HAVE to execute.



Hole 8 Moderate length par 4, trees on the right 290 out, a tree on the left 246 out, an elevated blind green with a false front.

The Plan: Drier down the middle about 250 leaving me a ¾ swing pitching wedge in, try to score from there. Full swings have not been my friend.

The action: I hammer the drive, 291 yards, leaks a little right. Ends up under the tree with the second trees branches meaning I cannot elevate the ball and have to hit a 85 yard punch shot. I execute a pretty solid punch that gets a couple yards onto the green, easy two putt for par.

What went right: I was able to manufacture an opportunity after a long drive that was less than ideal position.

What went wrong: not much, really. Sure, would be great to not be under the tree…but it will be some time before a 20 yard miss right on a 291 yard drive is something I am upset about. The tree was only in play because of a superior drive.



Hole 9 dogleg right par 5, sticker bushes last half of hole on left, sporadic trees all the way down the right

The plan: This hole has historically given me fits. I either slice into the tree line, often forcing a punch out, or, knowing this, I aim left and when I don’t slice go into the wrong fairway and have tough recovery shot. I have tried different tee clubs but all lead to trouble. I am going to go driver, and depending on where that leaves me, 3h on down to 7i, whatever either gets me home or over the trees.

The action: A perfect drive, 258 down the right center. Minor tree issue between me and the green but a 5i easily gets over the tree and to center of green. I have created a scoring opportunity. Until I chunk the 5i, then put a 7i just off the back edge, rush my chip and barely get on the green, have a tricky downhill slider I leave a lot on the bone, 3 putt.

What went right: the Drive was perfect, just about my average, set me up beautifully. The 7i I absolutely tattooed, almost hit it too well.

What went wrong: Chunked second shot. Chunked chip. Bad line on first putt. Turned potential eagle, definite birdie opportunity into a double bogey. 6 over on the last three holes…including a par.



So for the front, I feel I was very successful off the tee and just stunk up the approach game beyond belief. I cost myself about 8 strokes in the approach game and a couple more putting. I absolutely was hitting the tee shots and overall chipping well enough to be a stroke or two off par.



Hole 10: dogleg right to an uphill green, sand in front, sand left side of fairway right at bend.

The plan: a 4i should put me just at or inside the 150 marker. 9i to center of green, bring it home.

The action: I slightly fade the 4i but it ends up cutting off a bit of the hole, leaving me about 130 out barely into right rough. Out comes the famous pitching wedge which I duly fade and hit short, right into the sand. I power out of the sand, 2-putt.

What went right: The 4i was a little right but a very, very acceptable tee shot. Once again I am in position to score.

What went wrong: $%^& full swing wedge.



Hole 11: dogleg left par 5 with bushes/water all down the left, a creek bifurcating the fairway after the dogleg, sand short of and also right of the green, the water still on the left of it.

The plan: Driver is too much club. Essentially, I plan this to be a 3 shot hole to get home. 3h off the tee with a gentle draw, a long iron, chip and couple putts.

The action: 3h 228 to the right center of fairway leaving me 206 in. Hey, that is a great number for my 4i which I hit pretty straight! Lets do this! Dead pull over the yellow stakes into the water. Drop at 180, hit my 7i about 10’ right of the pin, 2-putt bogey.

What went right: The 3h was a good tee shot. The 7i was a spectacular approach shot.
What went wrong: the pulled 4i. I still believe it was the right club. It was just a pull. That is who I am. And I bogeyed one of the 2 or 3 toughest holes on the course.



Hole 12: Par 3 that I consistently come up short on. 165 to the pin, monstrous green.

The plan: I debate between the 8i and 7i. Having just hit a gorgeous 7i, I decide to do this. I hit a gorgeous, slight draw 7i…onto the hill back of the green. Decent chip, 2-putt.

What went right: okay tee shot, not short, okay chip. No big mistakes. I can live with a bogey.

What went wrong; probably should have been the 8i but I was afraid, knowing I am short and it was extreme range for that club, I might have overswung. I am okay with my choice.



Hole 13 Dogleg left par 4, water all down left, water long of fairway. You can miss right but adds distance. Sand guards two sections of the large, dogleg green.

The plan: Driver can reach the far water. 4i not long enough. Last time here I snap-hooked the 3h into the water, but a 3h with a little draw down the right side is the right call here. Should put me about 170 out and I like my 7i. 3h to 170ish, 7i to green, lets go.

The action: Realize on the tee I grabbed my 3w, not my 3h. I need to learn to hit this club. Whack, 241 with a gentle draw to about 165 out. I could not walk out there and place this much better. Too bad I chunk my approach. No worries, leaves me a perfect 95 yards which is my ¾ 50 degree. Which I nut…only to watch it settle a foot above the sand trap leaving an awkward stance. I so-so chip leads to a 2-putt which means…a double.

What went right: that 3w was a thing of beauty. It adds a club to my bag.

What went wrong; Everything else. The chunked approach. The short wedge.



Hole 14: moderately long uphill par 4 with a narrow, tree lined fairway. Sand a ways back and left of the green, seldom comes into play.

The plan: I need a club that is not going to miss. Better a 220 yard approach than being in the trees in the valley right and the trees left are sparse but leave no clear lanes. I am going to take a 3h hoping to leave 160-170 in, and go probably 7i.

The action: I snaphook my 3h over the sand so irrelevant I did not even mention it. I am on the cart path. Relief would be in ground under repair. Drop no closer actually leaves me lane through trees, I punch out to just outside the 150 marker. I am there in 2…not ideal but not crippling. An 8i comes up on the front edge of the green, I walk away with a bogey. That could have been so much worse after that snaphook.

What went right: I took my medicine on the punch out, had a decent approach shot.



Hole 15 dogleg and a half long par 4, water on right most of the way, where it turns then water left and between you and the green. This hole used to be so much worse but they moved the teebox up 40 yards.

The plan: I am believing in my driver, just going to take it left center of fairway leaving myself wedge or long iron in. No need to play with the water.

The action: Driver 241 down left center leaving myself 145 in. I am happy. Yeah, I need to go over water but it is 30 yards short of anything I am worried about, the sand right and right front of the green has been taken out of the equation. Pin is upper back left, I will aim left center of green. I proceed to shank my 9i into some long stuff 80 yards right of the green. I take a provisional…which I chunk and leave 40 yards short of green. I never find the first one, the chip is to above the hole, 2 putt. A triple.

What went right: Once again, my tee shot put me in great position to score. My chip was actually, from that distance to that part of the green, if not above average then at the least average, but really it was pretty good.

What went wrong: shank/chunk approach. This should have been on in 2. Full stop. Not on in 5. Approach from 145 and takes me 5 to get on? So not happy with my wedges and irons.



Hole 16: par 3 with water right and back of the green, multiple sand traps left of green and water left of them. Playing to pin tucked at back, 194 yards away.

The plan: A well struck 5i could go long into water. It is probably the right play but I am going to center of green with my 6i and try to 2-putt.

The action: A decent strike, it fades just a bit into the rough about mid-green. A good chip leaves me a 4’ putt…that I lip out. It is okay, tough par 3 for me, I am not displeased with a bogey.



Hole 17: they advertise this somewhat long dogleg par 4 as "toughest green on the course" and they are not kidding. Trees all the way down the right, they start about halfway down hole on left, green has bunker short left, trees right, and bends about a thousand different directions.

The plan: Tee shot starting left-center, hopefully fading right center to take sand out of play. Short iron into green, planning to take one club long to avoid the sand. From the left side of fairway the sand blocks any pin location on upper back side of green.

The execution: Power fade drive, ends up in the trees. Take slightly aggressive punch line and reach the 150 marker, leave 9i on front fringe of green, tap it close, putt for the bogey.

What went right: the punch out and approach kept the score manageable. I am not sad about a bogey on this hole.



Hole 18: dogleg left par 5 guarded left and right by trees, multiple fairway bunkers in the landing zone right, more fairway bunkers further up fairway, elevated green guarded by deep bunkers in front.

The plan: Hit something far enough to reach the corner but short enough to not be in sand, hit next shot to left center of fairway to open green and minimize sand, on in 3. Initially was going to hit 3 wood hoping for that light draw I hit back on 13. Ah, screw it, let the big dog eat. Driver 259 straight as an arrow over the sand, right behind a tree. Try to punch out to fairway, only make the rough. 191 yards out, sail 5i over left edge of green. Up hill chip over a berm to short sided green, try to elevate it but it runs out. Lag a 30’ putt to about 1’, tap in for the bogey. Heave the ball into the bushes.

What went right: nothing went horrifically wrong, a great lag putt. This hole just does not set up for any combination of clubs I can think of unless/until I can draw my driver on command. Or add 20 yards to my 3w.



For the day I went 47-47=94. That was not a bad round…it lowered my trending cap from 17.3 to 17.2. But…BUT…I should have shot much lower. 7 holes my tee shot put me at or inside 150 yards. 3 holes it put me in 200 or less, including on a par 5. 4 holes were par 3. On the front, only hole 9 did my tee shot put me in a bad place and that should have cost just one shot, the punch out. Hole 14, another bad spot but again…punchout means it just cost me one shot. Holes 17 and 18 I needed punch outs. So 4 sub par tee shots. 4 strokes. I did have a couple 3 putts. But this was a day I should have been threatening breaking 80 and I did not threaten 90.


Worse, I am not sure what I was doing wrong. First hole, swing felt great, watching the ball fly, thinking I am en route to a great starting hole…what the…short? Third hole, long? Second hole, right? 3 PW attempts all brutal. The 8i long was just striking it pure, okay. The bladed 9i…the fade/slice shot 5i?



I believed in my ability every shot, did not feel like there was a lot of overswinging…a couple shots, not many…and again and agin, in position to score, a terrible approach shot. Penalties, chunks, shanks. Grr.




No comments: