Friday

Softball blast...once more with feeling

What with getting married, then getting shafted by work regarding my duties and schedule, and getting older and more injured, I had pretty much retired from softball.

But I stayed in touch with the team and they needed someone to fill in for a game. So off I went.

I had not picked up a bat or glove in a couple years, though I throw the ball for bella pretty regularly so figure at least I can throw if needed.

We score a couple in the top of the first, and in the bottom half there is one play at first, an easy 6-3 putout.

I come up with 2 outs in the top of the second. I am a bit nervous about batting. I am still sensitive about my shoulder, it is still weak, and frankly, I am still exhausted from a 52 mile bike ride followed by mowing the lawn the next night so my legs are shot.

The smart player will take a pitch and, as in the old days, go the other way with a little flop shot into short right.

I took a pretty solid swing, but drive it too far into right, right at the right field. I am out.

The bottom of the second is long as they score a bunch. I get little action, but easily handle both throws that come my way.

It is the fourth inning before I come up again and again I drive the ball too hard, flying out to right center. I am not feeling too good about that...I should be keeping the ball on the ground and the fact that I am not shows the rust on my game. And it is hurting the team, because nobody else is hitting either and we are digging a hole.

We are down 8-3 when it starts to turn. They have scored a couple runs, have a big inning going, and a ball is hit sharply to short. I go to first, the throw is low and hits about 8' in front of me, coming like a rocket. I throw one foot back to find the bag as I sprawl like a hockey goal-tender to get in front of it. If it gets by me they are going to score a couple more runs.

Somehow I scoop it clean and my foot, in its flailing behind me, finds the bag to end the inning.

I think that really picked up the spirits of the team. We were on the verge of a melt-down, and if that play is not made, giving up a possible out might finish us. Instead, we have new life.

My next at-bat I look and see they are shading left and right, leaving a big gap in center. So with 2 outs, I go back up the middle for a clean double, driving in a run that actually, after being down 5, pulled us into a tie. It was a beautiful piece of hitting if I do say so myself.

They pick up another run.

We come back to tie it again, and then with 2 outs, I come up one more time and have a runner in scoring position. I know there is not much time left in the game, pick my pitch, drive it to my sweet spot in right and bring home the runner to take our first lead since the first inning. The next batter is out, and they come up for their last at-bat.

With one out, they have runners on first and second and their best hitter on deck.

the batter hits a slow roller to third, she steps on the bag and throws it across the infield. I stretch as far as I can, the throw beats the runner by a quarter step, the stretch looks spectacular, and we win the game on a double play.

Wow, that was about as exciting as C-league softball can get. 3 ties, 2 lead changes, a thrilling and semi-spectacular double play...

I feel really well about my own play. Although I made outs the first couple times, I quickly regained my comfort and confidence at the plate. I made every play in the field, including two very difficult ones that mattered.

I feel like I really helped the team, like, though I was not THE difference, I was A difference and if a less able player was in my spot, we lose by 4 or 5 runs.

It is not often I gush about my own performance in softball, but this time...I think I deserve it.

No comments: